What Is Upper Back Pain?
Pain felt in the neck and shoulder area is considered upper back pain. It can be accompanied by such common symptoms as numbness, weakness, burning, fatigue, and loss of mobility. Upper back pain can be debilitating and interfere with your daily life. Thankfully, chiropractic care has been shown to effectively eliminate upper back pain. At Lally Chiropractic Clinic in Yakima, WA, we have years of experience performing chiropractic adjustments for natural and effective upper back pain treatment.
Causes of Upper Back Pain
- Poor posture and muscle deconditioning. If you are sitting with improper posture too long, it can cause pain in the upper back. Therefore, it is important to correct your posture while sitting. Also, be sure to take regular breaks, move around, and stretch your muscles. Our chiropractor will also instruct you in corrective exercises to strengthen your back and help you maintain healthy posture.
- Muscle overuse. Overusing your muscles is another common cause of back pain. Overusing muscles in your upper back can lead to tightness, irritation, and immobility.
- Injury. A traumatic injury will likely result in upper back pain. Work-related accidents, car accidents, lifting heavy objects incorrectly, working out too hard, or slipping and falling can all end. The full extent of upper back injuries sometimes takes time to become fully apparent, so we recommend visiting our chiropractor as soon as possible after being injured.
- Herniated or ruptured discs. Although herniated discs are more common in the lower back, they can also cause upper back pain.
- Pinched nerve. If a herniated disc slips too far, it can compress nearby nerves in the back. A pinched nerve is often associated not only with back pain but also with the loss of control in the legs, muscle weakness, and numbness in the arms and legs.
- Osteoarthritis. Pain in the back is sometimes caused not by problems in muscles, but in the joints and bones. Osteoarthritis (the condition characterized by wearing away the cartilage that protects the bones) is a common cause of upper back pain.
Chiropractic Treatment for Upper Back Pain
Chiropractic care has been proven to be an effective method in treating different types of back pain, including pain in the upper back. Our chiropractor performs chiropractic adjustments to reduce your pain, restore your range of motion, and improve your body’s natural ability to heal itself. If you have been experiencing persistent back pain, it is recommended to see a chiropractor as soon as possible.
Contact Our Chiropractor in Yakima, WA for Upper Back Pain Treatment
For more information on upper back pain treatment or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor, call Lally Chiropractic Clinic today at (509) 248-0301.